Representing Canada's republican movement since 2002, Citizens for a Canadian Republic is a registered non-partisan, not-for-profit organization advocating the full Canadianization of the head of state.
We are in favour of the following:
- A governor general evolving into Canada's official head of state, constitutionally separate and distinct from the British monarchy,
- preserving the function and traditions of our government as a parliamentary republic,
- celebrating all of Canada's culture and heritage,
- continuing Canada's involvement in the Commonwealth of Nations, where most members are already republics.
CCR's activities are predominantly educational, including:
- Maintaining a website and social media as portals to unite Canadian republicans and provide information about what a parliamentary republic is, why it's inevitable, and how to attain it,
- liaising with the media by issuing press releases and providing commentators across the country in both official languages,
- and networking with supporters in all political parties who tirelessly work behind the scenes to help raise our cause to a higher level of priority.
In addition, CCR maintains a strong relationship with organizations representing republican movements in Australia, New Zealand and the UK, with whom we communicate regularly to help develop a Commonwealth-wide republican effort.